Monday, March 12, 2007

Letter to Carol

Last week Carol attended a huge gathering of Young Adult writers and grade school students. As I've said before, she's not only an excellent writer but an excellent speaker. I thought I'd share with you the sort of leter she frequently receives after visiting schools. Wish there'd been more like Carol in my school days.

Dear Mrs. Gorman, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed listening to you recently at the Literature Festival in Warrensburg, Missouri. I especially wanted to thank you for the loving response you gave to a question from one of my 4th grade students. He asked you if you ever wrote science fiction and you responded that no, authors tend to write what they like to read. And then you asked him if he liked science fiction. He shared that yes he does, and he wants to be a film producer of science fiction movies. You asked his name and told him that you believed he would be able to make his dream come true and that you would watch for his name in the coming years. The grin from ear to ear on Jackson's face was priceless and I heard him retell the encounter with immense pride to other students on the bus ride home. I am sure it is a memory he will treasure for a lifetime! Thank you so much for mak ing the effort to validate one little boy's dreams! Best wishes to you and your family. Sincerely, Patricia Platt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed,

You are married to one of the world's greatest ladies.

Richard