Thursday, June 12, 2008

Flooding; Jimmy Sangster

Many of you were thoughtful enough to e mail and phone today to see how the Gormans are holding up during the flood.

Carol's in Connecticut babsyitting our two youngest grandkids while their parents go to a weekend wedding ceremony. I'm home with the four cats, two of them five week old kittens. Last night we were in a tornado watch so I put all four of them in our bed and closed us in. I figured it'd be easier to get them to the basment if they were at hand. Never try to sleep with four cats, especially if they're little ones.

We're safe from the flooding because we're several miles from downtown. Much more rain is on the way and there is the serious prospect of a tornado passing through sometime tonight.

The great tragedy is those four poor Boy Scouts who died when a tornado ripped into the cabin where they had sought shelter. Hard to imagine what their parents are going through.

----

Vince Keenan's saluting screenwriter/novelist Jimmy Sangster tonight. After reading Sangster's engaging autbiography I decided that if I ever grow up I want to be just like him.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're okay, Ed.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Glad to hear that you are safe.

Prayers and blessings for all the Boy Scouts, leaders, family and staff involved in this terrible tragedy.

Terrie

Sarah Weinman said...

Very glad to hear you're safe, Ed.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Take care. Every time they mention Cedar Rapids, my heart leaps.

Todd Mason said...

Thanks for posting this, Ed, inasmuch as I hadn't put Cedar Rapids specifically together with the murderous weather till signing on tonight to do the blog entry for the miserable second episode of FEAR ITSELF, and the Yahoo homepage leads with your town. Better luck to everyone around, and continued safety for you and yours.

Currently living with two recently-adopted young adult cats (she's about three, he's about 2.5), I recently awoke to find that they had pinned me under the blanket, unless I wanted to wake them both...inasmuch as I was in no hurry to get anywhere and an idle flip of the bedside tv switch revealed that JACKIE BROWN was playing, I allowed myself to remain cat mattress for another hour or so.

Fred Blosser said...

My spider sense told me that although there was bad weather news out of Cedar Rapids, the Gorman home was ok. Nevertheless, it's good to see the confirmation.

Fans of Jimmy Sangster and Hammer should be aware that Sony this week released a four-movie DVD pack of early '60s Hammer swashbucklers, three of which were written by Sangster -- PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER, DEVIL SHIP PIRATES, TERROR OF THE TONGS. (You can just smell the pulpwood, can't you!) These have been rarely shown in the past 30+ years (last TV showing of BLOOD RIVER that I saw was 1971 or '72), and I don't think any of them have been on U.S. home video before. The cover packaging (under the title ICONS OF ADVENTURE) is horrendous, but the DVDs are the real deal: beautiful, sharp, and correct widescreen format. And only $25 list -- less if you order from Amazon, exploitedcinema.com, Best Buy, etc. Sangster does audio commentary.

Ben Boulden said...

I'm glad to hear you and yours are safe Ed. I've been thinking and hoping that was the case the past few days. This morning as I was getting ready for work one of the national news programs had a live feed from Cedar Rapids and I was impressed by two things. The first was how much water was in the city, and the second was how beautiful downtown Cedar Rapids must be when it's not flooded--a silly thought with all the turmoil and loss being suffered there. But still...



Ben

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're okay, Ed. My ears perked when I heard about the Cedar Rapids flooding.

Ron Clinton