Thursday, October 30, 2008

Worst sidekicks

If Bill Crider and James Reasoner and I were to sit down and discuss sidekicks we'd likely bring up the great Gabby Hayes and work our way down to Fuzzy St. John (I always felt sorry for him; even as a kid I knew he was lame) and the aggravating Smiley Burnette. (My opinions only--Bill and James may disgaree.)

But for younger folks here's a funny piece I ran across from Empire magazine online--10 Worst Sidekicks. I have to admit they make ole Fuzzy and Smiley look positively Oscar-worthy.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/top10/worst_sidekicks.asp?NID=23032

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are some bad sidekicks, all right.

You're right about Smiley. He can be, aggravating though in some things more than others. He thought of himself as a real star, or so I've heard.

James Reasoner said...

I kind of like Fuzzy St. John, although a little bit goes a long way where he's concerned. I agree with you about Smiley Burnette, though, and I don't care much for the other Fuzzy, Fuzzy Knight, and Dub "Cannonball" Taylor. Gabby's the best, no doubt.

Fred Blosser said...

Joe the Plumber

Anonymous said...

I think Roscoe Ates was by far the worst, with his unfunny stuttering and otherwise complete uselessness.

I alway felt sorry for Johnny Mack Brown and Eddie Dean when they stuck with that guy.