Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Stupid and proud of it

We hear a lot about the dumbing down of America. If you want evidence of this you need look no further than TV beer commercials. Since I don't drink, hate sports and consider most macho guys to be clowns, I come to beer commercials with a lot of prejudices. Most of them are stupid enough to be forgettable but the current Bud Light commercial where the geek decides to sit down and listen to his wife's book club because there's Bud Lite...wow. We're supposed to identify with this scurvy-looking bastard? Yessir not only do I wanna be like him--I want my son and grandson son to be like him too! Who wouldn't want their own to smirk at the thought of reading a book? I'm sure I'm in a minority here (as usual) but this is an offensive spot to most people who regard reading as a pleasure. Tough guys from Marcus Aurelius to General Patton to Ernest Hemingway to Mickey Spillane partook and any one of them could kick this dirtbags ass in under thirty seconds..

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Waddya want? Good grammar or good taste?

Of course, with Bud Lite, a beer exclusively for morons (like all Budweiser, Coors and several similar lines), they know their target demographic of cheefully misogynist (condescending variety, but from what perch is always fun to speculate) dipshits.

RJR said...

I hate stupid men commercials. And I think as a society we peaked a long time ago, and now we're careening down the other side of the hill.

RJR

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I never could figure that commercial out...who brings beer to a book club reading?

GeoffS said...

The Bud marketing execs must have read Jason Pinter's recent article 'Why Men Don't Read' ;-)

Gonzalo B said...

For quite some time now, we’ve been told that reading is an “un-manly” activity fit for bookworms and nerds. I can’t see how reading is any less manly than practicing sports vicariously through a TV and devoting hours and hours to fawning over sports stars, playing in fantasy leagues and spending your weekends watching game after game of baseball, football, etc.