Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good Guys; Picnic canceled; Lady Gaga



I'm not sure, under any kind of scrutiny, "The Good Guys" is much of a TV show. It sure ain't no "Burn Notice" which in some ways it clones, birthed, as it was, by the same guy who created "Burn.". I mean how many explosions can you have in a single episode? Last night they were pushing for the record apparently. That said I like it because it makes me laugh out loud, something few shows do. Bradley Whitford's hammy spoof of all Clint Eastwood cop movies is awkward but truly funny in a corny way. He's got a cool mustache comb, too, a tad metrosexual for a raging bull like himself. Colin Hanks by contrast comes off a bit like a high school history teacher, the straight arrow you like because he's just as much of a nerd as you are. Last night's show with the Chinese hit man who needed a translator whenever he wanted to threaten (and ultimately shoot) people was a hoot. The guy who played the (understandably) cowardly translator forced at gunpoint to travel along with various killings and `splosions was really good. I really like this show and I think a fair share of you might, too.

----------PICNIC AND SOFTBALL OUTING FOR SATURDAY CANCELED

I know a lot of you were planning on attending my Joy Behar picnic and softball outing this Saturday but as Jeff Pierce pointed out in the comments on last night's blog...who knew she was so controversial? Joy was planning to be there of course but since I couldn't afford what the security firms want to charge for protecting Joy...I'm afraid it's canceled.

----------Jerry Seinfeld and Ed agree on Lady Ga-Ga

(I'm ten years older than Seinfeld but it looks as if we got the same Geezer Arise! home video tape)

From Huffington Post:

Twelve days after Lady Gaga wound up in his box at Shea Stadium during a Mets game, Jerry Seinfeld has called her "a jerk" and then some. Joking or no? Read and decide.

"This woman is a jerk. I hate her," Seinfeld said during a WFAN radio interview on Monday, perhaps . "I can't believe they put her in my box, which I paid for."

Gaga, dressed in bra and swilling beer, was moved from her front row seat to Seinfeld's empty box (without his knowledge) after flipping off photographers.

"You give people the finger and you get upgraded? Is that the world we're living in now?" he said.

Seinfeld first said when asked about the June 10th incident, reports the NY Post, "I wish her the best.. you take one 'A' off of that and you've got gag."

"I don't know what these young people think or how they promote their careers," Seinfeld said. "I'm older, I'm 56. I look at Lady Gaga the way Keith Hernandez watches these kids when they pull the pocket out, they wear the inside-out pocket. ... Do you think he understands that? He can't understand that. That's a new game, that's kids."

4 comments:

Fred Blosser said...

GOOD GUYS: I only saw the first episode, but I think the mustache is supposed to be part of the character's stuck-in-the-70s style from the Burt Reynolds-Harry Reems era.

Lady Gaga is one of the many aspects of life in 2010 that I don't understand either. Seinfeld is 56??!

Ed Gorman said...

I like the mustache. It's really retro and fits the role perfectly.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I watched twenty minutes of the pilot episode of GOOD GUYS and had to stop because I just could not take it anymore. I am all in favor of crap on tv----but, make it halfway decent crap. Not only is it no BURN NOTICE (which I like a lot) it does not even rise to the level of crap--bad or good.

I hope this show dies a quick death asap.

Ricky Sprague said...

The way The Good Guys' ratings are going, it probably won't last much longer. It was supposed to be on the fall schedule but with each episode the ratings have gone down.

I enjoy it -- it's frivolous but a lot of fun at times. The translator begging for help from the man who was tied up and being beaten was one of the funniest things I've seen on a network show in a long time.

It's pretty uneven and there are some truly annoying aspects (the impossibly hot ex-girlfriend from the DA's office who wouldn't give the nerd cop a second look even though he kind of looks like Tom Hanks and why is she stringing him along anyway? is just one example) but there are just enough positives that I think it's worth watching.