Sunday, August 22, 2010

Comic books and prose; Bob Randisi



Ed here: I thought this was an interesting piece on how, in this age of the graphic novel, one novelist readily admits his debt to comic book writing. This is from Mulholland Books

--

Batman Is My Mr. Miyagi

by Brad MeltzerAug 11, 2010 in Books, Comic Books, Guest Posts

I write mysteries. I love writing mysteries. And I also write comic books. So when I was recently at Comi-Con, someone at one of the panels asked me how comics have influenced and/or seeped into my mystery and novel writing. Indeed, one of the editors at Mulholland Books asked if the action-packed nature of comics helped develop the action and pacing I use in the novels.

So let me tell you the answer.

Yes.

Duh.

And the best part? I had no idea I was doing it.

You see, when you do your first novel, it goes out, and you hope people read it. Same with your second. But by the time you hit your third, people start looking at all the books together. It was then that the smart readers stepped forward. One e-mailed me through my website and said, “I’ve now read three of your novels. What are your issues with your father?” And later, someone else wrote about how reading my novels was like seeing the underbelly of the pacing in a comic book: short chapters and a cliff-hanger, short chapters and a cliff-hanger.

To be honest, I was surprised. But the moment I heard it, I knew it was true.

for the rest go here:
http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/2010/08/11/batman-is-my-mr-miyagi/#more-66

------------------------------A letter from Robert J. Randisi

Gentlemen,

Yours are the blogs I read, almost exclusively. For that reason I'm sending you this email to correct any misinformation that might be available about my next Rat Pack book.

After 4 books with St. Martins Press the series has moved to Severn House. I'm very pleased with the move. Since Severn is a Britain-based house, the books will be published in both the U.K. and the U.S. For this reason there are two pub. dates. In the UK it will be a September book. In the US, a Jan. 2011 book. However, it will be available for preorder, and will carry a 2010 copyright date. I've attached the cover. As you can see, the book features the Rat Pack and Ava Gardner. And, or course, Eddie G. and Jerry. I am already at work on Book #6.

Thanks for your time.

RJR

No comments: