Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.



Ed here: In case you don't know Opus Dei is the scumbag secret far far far right Catholic organization that Dan Brown used as the villain in The Da Vinci Code, truly one of the worst books I ever managed to get halfway through. It is in all respects a slimy organization which, of course, the Vatican is quite proud of. But as proof that real real real rich people are as dumb as the rest of us...here is a tale designed to make all of us class warriors quite happy.


From Huff Post:

Music composer and oil-family heir Roger Davidson heard kind of an unbelievable story when he went into Datalink Computer Services in Mount Kisco to get a virus removed from an infected computer. The company's owner, Vickram Bedi, who realized Davidson was heir to the Schlumberger oil fortune (yes, everything about this fiasco sounds fake), tried to con Davidson by telling him further investigation of the infected device revealed that Davidson and his family were the target of an assassination plot by Polish priests affiliated with Opus Dei, the Roman Catholic organization best known for its starring role in The Da Vinci Code. With terrifically convincing details — like the fact that Bedi's uncle used an Indian military aircraft to track down the computer virus to a remote village in Honduras — Bedi and his girlfriend were able to bilk Davidson of $20 million over six years for data security and 24-hour covert protection.

Sure, it sounds implausible. But who are you going to believe: that nagging feeling that tells you maybe a fictionalized version of a murderous Catholic cult is not really plotting your demise or a shifty-looking IT repairman in Mount Kisco who promises that some version of Paul Bettany might one day show up at your front door?
Virus Leads to $20 Milli

5 comments:

I.J.Parker said...

What evidence (factual) is there that Opus Dei is a scumbag Catholic organization? Or is this just some more Catholic church bashing?
(I do agree about the DVC).

Ed Gorman said...

I'm a lapsed catholic who went to Catholic school for all of grade school and all but one year of high school. There are things I admire about the Church but unfortunately those things are outweighed by the things I despise about it. I invite you to type in Opus Dei scandals on Google and spend an hour going over some of the stories you find there. I don't consider it idle Catholic bashing, I really don't. The members I know of such as the deceased Robert Novak were/are among the most philosophically corrupt Americans I know of and reflect badly on the good aspects of the Church.

Charlieopera said...

Some people made $20 million off some oil barron and nobody was hurt (not even the environment)?

Sorry, it's the bad still in me. I LOVE it.

As for the church ... my wife and I have this ongoing argument. She's very religious and continues to go to mass when it's feasible with her schedule. I have no problem with any religion, but I do believe most religions do more harm than good (especially all that nonsense about homosexuality being a sin, etc.). My wife claims the good outweighs the bad. The argument continues ... I say it doesn't. My mother is a eucharistic minister and although she accepted my sister's being gay, she kind of ignores the church on that particular issue. She also ignores my constant breaking her shoes about it (and the church). I don't take issue with religion, but the catholic church and the safe haven they continue to be for pedophiles like that creep from Boston hiding in the Vatican ... don't get me started.

Mom and my wife continue to pray for me ...

Oy vey ...

Matt said...

This post is pretty far "Catholic bashing" if you understand the implications. Think of it like Opus Dei is to Catholicism as Haliburton is to Capitalism.

Anonymous said...

Separate the faith from the organization and make your peace with your own version of god and you won't have to defend the indefensible, Mr. Parker.
If you simply look at what Jesus said, and then at the long, long history of its offenses to those principles, you'll get a glimpse of what I'm talking about. I'm sure you know many humble Catholics who are more exemplary Christians than the pope.
Recovering Catholic