Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Ed's western fiction; Mary Cannon


SHORT STORY SUNDAY with Troy D. Smith

 (From Western Fictioneers)

Today I'm going to highlight the second unit in a three-way tie for my all time favorite western short story -last month I talked about the first, "The Last Boast" by Dorothy Johnson.

This time around it is Ed Gorman's "The Face," winner of the 1993 Spur Award. It was anthologized a couple of times in the 1990s, and I think I may have seen it for the first time in the pages of Louis L'Amour Western Magazine, if I remember correctly.

GUNSLINGER

TALES OF THE AMERICAN WEST

I am going to throw around some superlatives here. Ed Gorman is one of the best writers alive today, in any genre. I'm far from the only person to feel that way, I am sure. And this work is one of his best -in fact, in my opinion it is one of the best short stories written about the American Civil War, ever. It is a profound, disturbing, thought-provoking, poetic, and subtly terrifying tale. In his introduction of the story found in the book mentioned above, Richard S. Wheeler said: "It is the most haunting study of men at war that I have ever read. It brims with horror and beauty and darkness and evil."

 I can't really give much away -in large part because Gorman's artistry in this particular work has little to do with plot and everything to do with tone and atmosphere. In a nutshell, though, "The Face" is about the effect on a Confederate military camp when a wounded man is brought in, immobile, an empty shell of a person, really -with his face seemingly permanently frozen into a horrifying expression that defies definition. The reader soon intuits that those features reflect all the horrors and grief of war in human experience. The soldiers, and the reader, are -to put it in contemporary terms -freaked the frack out. As we should be.


NOW AVAILABLE


DEAD MAN'S GUN & OTHER WESTERN STORIES by Ed Gorman


From acclaimed author Ed Gorman and the Western Fictioneers Library comes this powerful collection of Western stories, many of which have never been reprinted. This volume includes the stories "Dead Man's Gun", "Pards", "The Old Ways", "The Face", "Gunslinger", "Guild and the Indian Woman", "Mainwaring's Gift", "Blood Truth", "Dance Girl", and the article "Writing the Modern Western". Gorman's unforgettable stories feature fine writing, compelling characters, and an undeniable sense of authenticity and realism. You can feel the cold, smell saddle leather and gunsmoke, mourn along with the tragedy-haunted men and women who populate Ed Gorman's West. Read DEAD MAN'S GUN and see why Ed Gorman is one of today's most honored Western authors.


If you haven't read the work of Ed Gorman, this is a good place to start... but so is anything he has written, really.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY CANNON

One of our great good longtime friends. Thanks for  that great Care package you sent us when we were at Mayo, Mary.

4 comments:

Mathew Paust said...

Brilliant concept for "The Face." Almost afraid to read it.

Mathew Paust said...

...but I just bought it. Time to man up!

Mathew Paust said...

Masterful, Ed. I could hear the strains of "Down by the Riverside" in my head as I read. Every kid in every high school English class should read "The Face". Gives new weight to "ain't gonna study war no more." You teared me up, buddy. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ed! I had a wonderful (non-snowy) day! So glad you and Carol are back home!

xoxo
Mary