Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Bill Crider News; Terrie Moran says I won the Ed Hoch Award



Announcement (Congratulations, Bill)

According to this announcement, it appears that 
Sheriff Rhodes will be around for at least two 
more books (assuming I'm not too lazy to 
write them): "Bill Crider's 
SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN 
and the next Sheriff Dan Rhodes mystery, to 
Toni Kirkpatrick at Thomas Dunne Books, 
by Kim Lionetti at BookEnds (NA)."

----------------------


Ed here: I haven't heard anything from the Committee but my friend Teri Moran sent me the following information and as Kramer of Seinfeld said "If it's on the internet it MUST be true."

Ed Hoch was supportive of my work early on. I also had the honor of editing his collection of private eye stories. This is a true pleasure for me, this award because of my respect and admiratiionn for Ed and his work. 

--------

In July 2008, with permission from Patricia Hoch, the SMFS renamed its Golden Derringer Award for Lifetime Achievement in honor of her late husband, Edward D. Hoch. With more than nine hundred published stories at the time of his death, Hoch was considered the most prolific writer of short mystery fiction ever.

Golden Derringer honorees are considered by a five-member selection committee. This year’s recipient of the EDWARD D. HOCH MEMORIAL GOLDEN DERRINGER FOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT is:  Ed Gorman

The Derringer Award is determined by a vote of the Short Mystery Fiction Society membership. The four story categories are Flash Fiction, Short Story, Long Story and Novelette. Recipients of the Derringer receive a plaque documenting their accomplishment, but until the official award is delivered, this year’s winners will be presented with this certificate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ed, and congratulations on a well-deserved award.

Gerald So said...

Hello, Ed.

It is true you are the recipient of this year's Hoch memorial award. I was on the selection committee. Email me (G_SO at YAHOO dot COM) and I'll send your certificate, an image file suitable for printing.

The SMFS (Short Mystery Fiction Society) is a free group that promotes the genre by sharing insights on writing and publishing. We make no profit, but our plaques are generously constructed and donated by member Jim Doherty. This year's plaques were delayed, but I'll pass along Jim's email address when you contact me, and you can follow up with him.

Congratulations and best regards.