Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kevin Smith

I'd never paid much attention to director Kevin Smith. I liked Clerks (though it made me uncomfortable in places--too much like my own young years) but then lost track of him.

The Reelz Channel did an hour with him tonight and Carol and I were both impressed. He came off as a talented guy who has decided to turn his films into memoirs of various points in his life. Commenting on excerpts from each of his movies you got to see some of his work process--what he was trying to do, what he was able to do and what he failed to do.

Most of the directors on the series get defensive when confronted with their flops. Smith acknowledges them. He assesses them ruthlessly. He even said that "being overpraised" for Clerks gave him a false sense of security. No more security after the total failure of his second film.

The real surprise was Ben Affleck who has been in most of Smith's movies. I'd been under the impression that he was something of a dope. Not so. Much to say and said well.

Now I have six or seven Smith movies to rent.

5 comments:

Vince said...

Clerks and particularly Chasing Amy are Smith at his best.

Todd Mason said...

Affleck's own first directorial effort has been much praised, though I haven't seen it yet...the Lehane adaptation, GONE BABY GONE.

I'm fond of JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK in a way that most people aren't. I'll take his entire works, including MALLRATS, ahead of the entirety of Spielberg's.

Randy Johnson said...

In the past, I heard talk of him doing a Green Hornet movie, I believe. But I believe he's since left that project. To bad.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I liked "Chasing Amy" a lot and "Dogma" was certainly original if not entirely successful. Haven't seem the last few. Nice when a film-maker has a vision of where he wants to go.

Unknown said...

Ed, you should also check out Smith's two books--one is SILENT BOB SPEAKS, a collection of essays and such, and the other is MY BORING ASS LIFE, which brings a whole new meaning to the word candid. Oh my God. Both are very, very funny... and smart.