Saturday, August 13, 2011

29. William Holden on Humphrey Bogart: “I hated the bastard



Ed here: There's a long list of these on Movie Morlocks today - here are some highlights. For the rest go here:

3. Joan Crawford on Bette Davis: “She has a cult, and what the hell is a cult except a gang of rebels without a cause. I have fans. There’s a big difference.”
4. Bette Davis on Joan Crawford: “I wouldn’t piss on her if she was on fire.”
5. Sterling Hayden on Joan Crawford: “There’s is not enough money in Hollywood to lure me into making another picture with Joan Crawford. And I like money.”

7. Carol Lombard on Vivien Leigh: “That f–king English bitch.”

19. Walter Mattheu to Barbra Streisand during an on set argument while making HELLO DOLLY!: “I have more talent in my farts than you have in your whole body.”

25. Richard Harris on Michael Caine: “An over-fat, flatulent, 62-year-old windbag. A master of inconsequence masquerading as a guru, passing off his vast limitations as pious virtues.”
26. Frank Sinatra on Shelley Winters: “A bowlegged bitch of a Brooklyn blonde.”
27. Shelley Winters on Frank Sinatra: “A skinny, no-talent, stupid, Hoboken bastard.”

28. John Gielgud on Ingrid Bergman: “Ingrid Bergman speaks five languages and can’t act in any of them.”
29. William Holden on Humphrey Bogart: “I hated the bastard.”
30. Humphrey Bogart on William Holden: “A dumb prick.”

These insults were compiled from various books, magazines, newspapers and IMDB.com.
Feel free to share some of your own favorite insults from classic actors below. I’m sure there are plenty more that I haven’t mentioned.

3 comments:

Ronald Tierney said...

About Katherine Hepburn's acting, Dorothy Parker said "....she runs the gamut of emotions from A to B."

Thanks for the quotes. I'm not sure I agree, but the John Gielgud quote was hilarious.

Ed Gorman said...

Not having known any of the people involved--I'm a small city Midwesterner; unlikely I'd ever have run into any of these people--I don't have any opinion about the fairness of any of these comments. But from everything I've learned--al Sartre's No Exit--living out eternity with either Betty Davis or Joan Crawford would be Hell.:(

Jeff P said...

My favorite is from an old Dennis Miller comedy routine: Sylvester Stallone, an actor with the range of a Daisy air rifle.