Sunday, August 28, 2011

I admit I was wrong about Louie CK

Now I can't even remember what he did or said in one of the first season's episodes that turned me off to his show. But bored last night I decided to try two episodes from this season, Pamela and Country Drive.

I'm sold and I'm hooked. These are like extraordinary literary stories. The observations are fascinating. In Pamela he's a grown up version of Woody Allen; his confession of love manages to be hilarious and moving at the same time. I would not have chosen this actress in an audition and I would have been dead wrong. She's perfect.

Country Drive masterfully deals with old age, the historical disconnect in America's past and parenting. I've rarely seen child actresses as deft as the two little girls are but they match him line for line every time.

I have several more episodes to go and I'm really looking forward to them. I'm now a big big fan of his.

8 comments:

John R. Platt said...

It's a brilliant show. Each episode is like a little gem. You have lots to look forward to.

Dave Zeltserman said...

Ed, wait until you see the Joan episode. My favorite, though, this season is the Eddie episode.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It takes a few eps to get into it but once you scrap your expectations of what it should be, you're hooked.

John McFetridge said...

It's Louis CK day on the blogs, it seems. Adrian McKinty discovered the show, too:

http://adrianmckinty.blogspot.com/.

And he also recommends this Louis CK blog about visiting the troops in Afghanistan:

http://www.louisck.net/2009/03/uso-blog-baghdad-day-day-one-p.html

Anonymous said...

A couple of weeks ago I bought the first season because I like him and so many people told me how good it was. The pilot disappointed, but then I watched the 2nd episode w/ his poker buddies and Ricky Gervais as his doctor, and laughed my ass off.

I'm glad I've got the rest of the 1st season and all of the 2nd to look forward to.

Jeff P.

Todd Mason said...

The second season has had fewer self-pitying episodes...the breadth of spirit has grown.

Unknown said...

I've been a fan for years ... Please try to watch last Thursdays hour-long episode where he goes to Afghanistan ... Poignant to say the least...

Dick Lochte said...

He's definitely the most original comedian going. Actually, calling him a comedian is too limiting. He writes and directs the shows, too. The Dane Cook episode was jaw-dropping. Not just because of the animosity dating back to the material theft charges, but because Cook was smart enough to agree to do the show. It's his finest moment.