Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Forgotten Books: Loan Shark by J.W. O'Dell





--------------------------LOAN SHARK
Ed here: By accident I ran across this blog called Olman's Fifty and it turned out to be one of the most fascinating review blogs I've ever read. He covers everything from pulp to literary novels. What made me a fan immediately was his review of the following novel. I've quoted Terry Southern before who always talked about all the great and sometimes memorable trash that could be found at the bottom of the literary totem. Belmont-Tower was certainly at or near the bottom but every once in awhile they did manage to publish a decent book---in fact so many it might surprise you. I read this when it first appeared and have a read it once or twice since. This is dark bleak pulp at its mordant agitated best. I don't know who O'Dell was (for a time I thought he might be Peter McCurtin who worked and published there and it still might be) but he gave a minor book bitter and truthful life. The pulse and pace and characterization of this novel can only be evied by many of O'Dell's literary betters. THIS SHOULD BE REPRINTED.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012

2 comments:

Kelly Robinson said...

I found the blog you mentioned. Can't wait to check it out.

OlmanFeelyus said...

Well those are kind words indeed! Thanks! Link here:

http://olmansfifty.blogspot.ca/2012/03/20-loan-shark-by-jw-odell.html

Anybody else got any info on who the author was?