Saturday, June 14, 2014

BRASH BOOKS PRESENTS BILL CRIDER'S OUTRAGE AT BLANCO
























1. Tell us about your book / books that Brash is publishing.

OUTRAGE AT BLANCO has an interesting history.  Pat LoBrutto bought it for the Double D Western line at Doubleday, but the line folded before the book was published and the rights were returned to me.  I was paid for the book, though, which was nice.  Several years and a new agent later, the book was bought at Dell, and I got paid again, more than the first time.  The editor liked it so much that he asked for a sequel, which became TEXAS VIGILANTE (not my original title).  He was interested in a third book, and I was working on the outline when he left Dell, so that was the end of that. 

.2. Can you give a sense of what you're working on now?

Right not I'm working on another entry in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series.  This one will come out in 2015, and the tentative title is BETWEEN THE LIVING AND THE DEAD.  It involved a haunted house and, of course, ghosts. 

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

There are a lot of pleasures.  Writing itself, hearing from people who like the work, getting paid, and more.  Hard to say today which one's the best. 

4. What is the greatest DISpleasure?

I know I've answered this question for you before, but right now I can't think of one other than trying to read a royalty statement. I've about given up on trying to figure them out. 

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?

"The publishing world" now is so diverse I can't think of any advice that would suit everybody. I still think the major publishers haven't quite caught on to eBooks.  They need to get up to speed.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see
in print again?

Brash Book is bringing back so many great writers, and with other publishers are doing the same, I can't think of anybody who's left out now.

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget
that moment.

Ah, THE COYOTE CONNECTION.  Nick Carter and the assassination teams coming in through Mexico.  One of the things that I remember best is that my friends James Reasoner and Joe Lansdale both published their first novels at about the same time.  That was a great thrill for me, seeing all of us in print and on the stands at the same time.  And we're still there after all these years.

-- 
www.leegoldberg.com

No comments: