Wednesday, October 22, 2014

From the great Ken Levine Movies You're Not Supposed To Hate



What movies do you hate that everyone else loves?


Doesn't it make you crazy when there’s a movie out that’s real popular and all your friends love it but you don’t? It’s like you're totally out of step with pop culture – and is there a worse fate than that? I’ve listed some movies that were boxoffice dandies and zeitgeist zeniths but just didn’t do it for me. You’re going to look at this list and be outraged over a couple. But that’s the whole idea. I KNOW you and most everyone in the world likes these movie but for whatever reason I hate 'em.   Sorry.  I do.   I’ve also left out films from genres I just don’t care for, so it’s unfair to dump on SAW III. And I won’t go to see a Katherine Heigl or Nancy Meyer romcom. Just loathe ‘em.  I know what I’m going to get. And I’m never not being disappointed in being disappointed.

So this is my partial list. I’d be curious. What’s yours? And I’ll make you a deal. If you don’t rip me for not liking LINCOLN I won’t attack you for not liking AMERICAN BEAUTY (although, seriously, what’s wrong with you?).

ENGLISH PATIENT
Last Batman movie
Last Superman movie
CRASH
MATCH POINT
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
NEIGHBORS
LORD OF THE RINGS
LINCOLN
THE NATURAL
NEBRASKA
THE DESCENDENTS
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING
LES MISERABLES
YOU’VE GOT MAIL
MOULIN ROUGE
LUCY
IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE


2 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

I'm with you on at least half these. THE ENGLISH PATIENT made a great novel, but I seem to have been in a minority in that case, too.

Todd Mason said...

Nah, I don't think hardly Anyone is going to argue with the Oscar-winning CRASH, which has about three to five good minutes in it, where the actors briefly triumphed over the script.

How about all the Christian Bale Batman films? For that matter, all the Christopher Reeve Superman films? And, emphatically, all the Tobey Maguire Spiderman films? 2 almost tolerable, mostly because of Molina.

Of course, when you mention NEIGHBORS, I first think of the atrocious Belushi film first...I haven't wasted any time on the recent one (the HANGOVER series is consistently atrocious, to be sure...anti-funny superannuated versions of GO, and even SMOKIN' ACES was less dull).