Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A great one from Max Allan Collins: Mid-Year Movie Wrap-Up

Mid-Year Movie Wrap-Up

June 16th, 2015 by Max Allan Collins
I haven’t written as much about movies this year as in previous ones. That’s in part because Barb and I haven’t been going quite as much, having been burned too many times. But some of you enjoy my opinions on film, which this time I have lazily reduced into this look at most of the films we’ve seen in the first half of 2015.
MOVIES WE WALKED OUT ON:
HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD
THE AGE OF ADALINE
MOVIES WE SHOULD HAVE WALKED OUT ON:
TAKEN 3
RUN ALL NIGHT
INTERESTING INDIES:
EX MACHINA
IT FOLLOWS
MOVIES THAT WERE BETTER THAN THEY HAD ANY RIGHT TO BE:
McFARLAND USA
FURIOUS 7
JURASSIC WORLD
MOVIES THAT WERE WORSE THAN THEY HAD ANY RIGHT TO BE:
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
JUPITER ASCENDING
(Nate disagrees on both of these)
MOVIES THAT SHOULD HAVE SUCKED BUT DIDN’T:
POLTERGEIST
SAN ANDREAS
MOVIES I HATE THAT I WILL NEVER SEE:
MORTDECAI
PAUL BLART: MALL COP 2
HOT PURSUIT
ALOHA
BEST ACTION MOVIE IN YEARS:
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
BEST COMEDY IN YEARS:
SPY
* * *
Here’s an advance look (sans type) of the cover by Stephen Gardner for the upcoming Dover reprint of A KILLING IN COMICS. Nicely moody, I think. Very happy to have the first two Jack and Maggie Starr’s back out.
A Killing in Comics
Along those lines, here’s a short but sweet write-up on the reprint from Dover of STRIP FOR MURDER.
And check out this interesting piece on why the DICK TRACY movie didn’t get a sequel (yet), touching on my novelization and the two follow-up novels.
M.A.C.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Concerning the Dick Tracy movie, I could not understand why everyone had to look like the bad guys from the comics with the exception of Tracy himself. I just didn't set right with me while I watched.

Mathew Paust said...

You get a chance, by all means don't miss miss Kingsmen Secret Service. It lived up to its glowing reviews. Colin Firth stretched his chops to great success. Kingsmen Secret Service