Sunday, November 24, 2013

Excellent Max Allan Collins piece Why I Write from Publisher's Weekly

Image of Max Allan Collins

WHY I WRITE
by Max Allan Collins
Why do you write?
Many writers have a glib comeback for this question. Samuel Johnson famously said, “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.” Asked what inspired him, Mickey Spillane would reply, “The urgent need for money.” And I have often described my career as an ongoing effort to avoid a real job.
Certainly earning a living is a valid reason to write; but really, getting paid is what allows me to write – and has made me a full-time writer since 1977. I take pride in not having a day job, and when asked why I write so much, I usually say, “To keep the lights on.” Anyway, what else am I supposed to do with my time?
The ranks of successful authors include lawyers, doctors and in particular teachers – noble professions, but part-time scribes all. Early on I taught at a college myself, though never more than half-time, having sold my first two novels at the University of Iowa’s Writers Workshop. Teaching drains the creative juices that writing requires, and I got out of academia as soon as possible.
Stories have been my main interest longer than I can remember. My mother read me Tarzan books at bedtime and encouraged me to read Dick Tracy comic books (her favorite strip). Chester Gould’s famous dick led me into Sherlock Holmes, Ellery Queen and the Saint, and – by junior high – Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe and Mike Hammer, an interest fostered by the wave of TV private eyes of the late ‘50s. My sixth-grade teacher told me I would never be successful because I insisted on writing “blood and thunder” (the title of my 1995 Nathan Heller novel, by the way).

 for the rest go here: http://www.maxallancollins.com/blog/

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Always an interesting question, isn't it? I write to entertain myself and a good thing it isn't for money.

Peter L. Winkler said...

He looks like a cross between Elton John and Roy Orbison.

Max Allan Collins said...

Mr. Winkler,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments about my essay. It's nice to know that there are still insightful readers out there willing to share their incisive analysis.

M.A.C.