Sunday, December 20, 2009

Year's Best TV

Reading through several Best Of lists today reminded me of out of it I am. The lists in the new Entertainment Weekly are probably the best example. No matter the category there were thirty per cent of the winners and losers I'd never heard of before.

Since I don't see many movies first-run or buy many CDs or read the books that seem to dazzle most people the only list I can compose is my TV choices.

30 Rock is still my favorite comedy, though they've had a bumpy year. I enjoy the cast of The Office so much that I'll watch them even in poor scripts though this seems to be a show that has lost its way. PBS Frontline. The Leher Report. Rachael Maddow. Keith Olbermann (though he can get awfully full of himself). Flight of The Conchords had some of the year's best writing. All the PBS mysteries. I'm probably overlooking something but as for the rest I watch politics, history and TCM.

Yes now I know why they call me Mr. Excitement.

4 comments:

Dave Zeltserman said...

Ed, I like 30 Rock, but I'd say the best network sitcom is Modern Family, best network drama is Lost. Best cable shows: Brotherhood, In Treatment, Big Love, Dexter, Weeds, Flight of the Conchords. Btw. Conchords isn't coming back-they ended it after 2 seasons.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Modern Family is great. Its charm is that it likes all its characters and their foibles are not out of meanness. The writing is great. Big Bang Theory still makes me laugh although I hate the laughtrack.

Dave Zeltserman said...

Patti, I agree. The humor is based on the relationship between these different extended family members, but also with them caring about each other without (usually) being too maudlin. I love this show, as does my wife. One of the best (and goodhearted) sitcoms to come about in years. And boy, Ed O'Neil is terrific in this.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It puts all his years as Al Bundy to rest.