Saturday, June 04, 2011

Career overview: Harry Landers



Ed here: I'm a big fan of career over views, especially of writers, actors, directors. You may not know the name Harry Landers but unless you've never watched TV you've seen him. From Hitchcock to DeMille from a major role in Ben Casey to dozens of hours of TV dramas of all kinds, Landers talks about his acting days with candor and edge. Thanks to Cinema Retro for the link.

This appeared on The Classic TV History Blog:

Harry Landers:

"So I grabbed a t-shirt and put it on, and got into the limo. Now I was fear-ridden. On the ship, I wasn’t. How old was I? I was in my early twenties, I guess. I remembered Bette Davis as a kid, watching her movies. To this day, I think she’s still the motion picture actress in American cinema. She’s incredible.

"So they asked me onto the stage, to Bette Davis’s dressing room. They were shooting. There was a camera and all the sets. The man went up and said, “Miss Davis, I have the young man.” So she said, “Come in, come in.” I walked in and there she was, seated in front of the mirror. She looked at me and shook my hand. She asked me a few questions. She said, “What can I do for you?”

"Maybe when I was a kid in New York City, in Brooklyn, I always realized I’d wind up in Hollywood someday. I never knew why or what, but it was a magnet. Motion pictures is better than sex! And she said, “What can I do for you?”

"I used to watch the extras. Beautiful little girls walking around, and they were always rather well-dressed and doing nothing, and I’m sweating and pounding nails. And they were making more money. I think I was making like nine or ten dollars a day. I said, “I’d like to do what they’re doing.”

"She said, “You want to be an extra?”

I said, “Yes, ma’am.”

"Then she picked up the phone and she spoke to Pat Somerset at the Screen Actors Guild. Put the phone down. A few seconds later the phone rang. She said, “Yes, Pat. Bette here. I have a young man here, and I will pay his initiation.” That was the end of it. She told me where to go. She wrote it down: The Screen Actors Guild union on Hollywood and La Brea. We talked for maybe three more sentences, said goodbye and shook hands.

"The next time I ran across Bette Davis was at a party at Greer Garson’s house. By that time many years had passed; in fact, I was in Ben Casey. I was with Sam Jaffe and Bettye Ackerman. They knew Greer – Miss Garson – very well. There was Bette Davis, and she didn’t remember me. I [reminded her and] a little thing flicked in her mind. It was just a very brief kind of a [memory]. That was the last time I ever saw her."



for the rest go here:
http://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/an-interview-with-harry-landers/

1 comment:

Ron Scheer said...

Great story. A Bette Davis dressing room scene, and ALL ABOUT EVE instantly comes to mind...