Monday, June 06, 2011

New Books: The Bastard Hand by Heath Lowrance



Heath Lowrance:

Three or four years ago, I wrote this book, the one that’s now called The Bastard Hand. I wrote it without any thought about a market or an audience or a future. It was just something that kept eating away at me, wouldn’t get off my back until it was done. It took a long time. I mean, a real long time. But one day I was shocked to discover that I’d actually finished the damn thing. I’d finished it, and I had no idea what to do with it.

If you haven’t read it, I’ll tell you this much: The Bastard Hand is a violent, profane, black comedy-noir-southern gothic. There are no good guys in it, and no bad guys either, not really. There’s just some messed-up people, doing messed-up things. All my personal obsessions got poured into it along the way, and it wound up being a bizarre hodge-podge of genres and influences.

But you know what? I thought it was a pretty good book. I still think so.

For a while, though, it seemed as if I was the only one who felt that way. After the usual editing and polishing up, I did my research and started sending that sucker out to literary agents, one or two at a time. I’d send it off, and sit back to wait for the fame and fortune due me as the creator of this weird literary mess.

I didn’t wait long. The rejections flooded in like a tsunami. There were a lot of the usual “not right for us” sort of things, but also the occasional “no clear market” or “difficult to categorize”. I even got a few “too offensive” and “too depressing” comments.

After about a year of this, I gave up. Just shelved it. This book I’d poured every bit of myself into seemed destined to die alone on some street corner, bumming change from every passing James Patterson or Michael Connelly. But so what? It happens every day, doesn’t it? Some wanna-be strips himself bare on the page, bleeding out his guts, only to be ignored. Sad, but true. I resolved to start working on something new and forget all about The Bastard Hand.

Some time later, I started my blog, Psycho-Noir, more or less just to spout off about books, movies, etc. Maybe even to promote myself a little. On a whim, I posted the first chapter of The Bastard Hand there, along with some short stories and essays I’d written.

And one day… one fine day… I get this e-mail from a guy calling himself Bassoff. Jon Bassoff, from New Pulp Press. Said he liked that first chapter, wanted to know if I’d be interested in showing him the rest. I checked his bone fides and found he’d published 10 or 12 very highly regarded books—and had even done a reprint of an old Gil Brewer!

I sent The Bastard Hand off to him, not expecting anything, to be honest. He’d read it, and write back saying, “Ah, sorry, my mistake. Not quite right for NPP” or, even worse, he’d just “lose” my e-mail.

But that’s not what happened. He loved it.

Weird, huh?

So flash-forward a little over a year, and The Bastard Hand comes out and holy shit, everyone seems to like it a lot. Not just readers of nasty crime fiction, but some of my own literary heroes—Allan Guthrie, Megan Abbott, Dave Zeltserman, Vincent Zandri…

Reviews at genre websites are uniformly positive. People are saying REALLY NICE THINGS.

And I take it all very personally, you know? Because this book was very personal to me, just like most first novels, I’ve been told.

As a bonus, I’ve made some great new friends, people who share a common interest in this thing we call noir. They’ve enriched my life, above and beyond the success of the novel. And many of them have gone to great lengths to promote my work, and to help me ease my way through the professional stuff (of which I was absolutely clueless).

I’ve finished a second novel in the meantime, and am working on a third. But I know that this moment, this weird, invigorating time in my life in which my first novel has come out and struck a chord with readers and writers alike, is something I’ll never get to experience again.

It’s been a strange, wonderful time.

6 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

The Bastard Hand is terrific. Great post, Heath, and looking forward to your second and third books!

Anonymous said...

Great interview Mr Lowrance. I have read "The Bastard Hand", finished it in one reading. Readers of all preferences and gendre are moved by "The Bastard Hand", postively or negatively.. It evolkes high emotions for all. Great work, look forward to your next adventure.

Al Leverone said...

It's strange how sometimes things just come together, although it would never have happened if you hadn't scribbled out such a shocking, gripping story.

Congratulations on the positive reviews, they're well-earned and well-deserved.

Mike Dennis said...

Excellent post, Heath.

I know what you mean about shelving a book, essentially throwing in the towel. I've done it myself on several occasions.

I read THE BASTARD HAND and loved it. But I think you should know that I initially bought it on the strength of the "How I came to write this novel" piece you did on Patti Abbott's website. It tore my ass up! The book wasn't even available then, but I preordered it on Amazon right away.

Keep it up, man.

Charlieopera said...

NPP is dynamite ... so if they took it on, so will Temporary Knucksline. Soon as I'm back from New Hampshire, I'm on it. Good for you, Heath ... and NPP

Heath Lowrance said...

Thanks, mates!