Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Seinfeld-Gates

Hard to believe there's a bigger fan of the Seinfeld show than I am. Or of Jerry Senifeld in general. But I've now seen two of his new tv commercials with Bill Gates and I have to say that they're a) pretty damned boring and b) pretty damned narcissistic on both their parts.

A-Sometimes it's fun to not know where you're going in a commercial. But these are so "hip" there is no real hook and there no real conclusion. You just amble through dull witless dialogue and seemingly endless set-ups and then the spots end.

B-Both these guys seem to think that they're worth watching just because they happen to be Seinfeld and Gates. They don't have to earn or reward our interest. They're just such cool dudes they can dink around and their presence alone will carry the load.

I'm surprised that Seinfeld of all people is happy with this campaign.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I guess commercials about nothing are not quite the same as shows about nothing.

Dave Zeltserman said...

Ed, my take exactly. I can understand why Gates is doing it, why not? But pure sellout from Seinfeld.

Better sitcom--Frasier or Seinfeld??

I'll go with Frasier.

Anonymous said...

I've never liked Jerry Seinfeld,and these commercials just renforce my feelings. I hated his show.

RJR

Anonymous said...

Seinfeld seems to have consigned himself to witless commercials (see the Bee Movie campaign before this recent spate of Microsoft ads).