Saturday, September 06, 2008

Thanks; Celebrity Assistants

Thanks to all of you who've written me about my stepfather. I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers for my family. Ed

------------Celebs folks

As you might imagine there aren't many job openings for celebrity assistants in Cedar Rapids. I doubt there's been even one at our lobal job fairs. So I've always been curious about what these pople do. Cinema Retro led me to an interesting article on the subject from Radar On-Line. These examples are a little lurid but but they're the shortest ones in the well-done piece. Not a job I'd care to have. Or would probably last at much longer than two hours.

Radar: copyright 2008

"The director's girlfriend was a costume designer on the film they were working on. One day, Newcomer says, he was clearing out one of the GMC Suburban SUVs used on set when he found a large bag of what he thought was wardrobe. He handed the bag to one of the girlfriend's assistants to give to her.

"I didn't look carefully, but it was a bag of sex toys," he says. "[The director] had been fucking another girl in the movie. [The girlfriend] thought I was trying to tip her off. So when that came out, I got fired. I didn't really care though—that was like a $500-a-week job."

Another assistant relates the tale of working for a major celebrity in L.A., where part of her duties included grinding cocaine, mixing it with water, and putting it in nasal spray so the celebrity could easily take it to the bathroom.

(more)

"There are certain celebrities who think just because you're working for them that it's reward enough, and you don't need to be paid for the 24 hours a day you're going to be working," the writer's assistant says. "I've heard of salaries that range from $40,000 to $55,000 a year. The range for jobs I've gone in for are typically $80,000 to $100,000. Did I get all those jobs? No. One of them was for an absolutely insane person, and I literally would have been traveling 10 months out of the year. Literally, when she wakes up, someone's got to be there, whether that's 3:00 in the morning or 6:00 in the morning—she literally needs someone to hold her hand."

for the rest go here:

http://radaronline.com/features/2008/08/celebrity_assistants_holly_goline_cacee_cobb_alli_sims_01.php

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed,

A good friend of my wife is the personal assistant for Little Steven Van Zandt of the E-Street Band and The Sopranos.

She got the job because she used to produce a fanzine for him many years ago and when the band and Little Steven became more famous he hired her as an assistan. She answers his mail and pretty much manages his life. I have no idea what she gets paid, but she lives in Manhattan and has made this her profession.

Dennis McGough